Tuesday, October 04, 2005

End of the Smellyzoic Period

Miss Smelly got canned.

Last week I received some information that I knew, if true, would spell the end of her fragrant days here. After a little investigation, and bringing in our HR department to assist us with the legal dotting of i's and crossing of t's, we prepared to give the bad news to her last Friday afternoon. I made plans to take the rest of the afternoon off doing other errands, and we advised the head admin in our office to gather the rest of the admins and take them out when HR arrived.

All plans fizzled when Miss Smelly, in perfectly predictable fashion, went home at lunch time and didn't return. I thought maybe she'd caught wind of what was about to go down; at some point in the afternoon my director received an email from her saying she was not feeling well and was staying home.

Personally, I had a feeling that if I followed my nose to her apartment nearby, I'd find her packing her bags in her newly purchased VW Bug and heading for a weekend back home in New Hampshire. No matter, though. If not Friday afternoon, then first thing Monday morning.

And so it all went down yesterday morning. I cleared out and ran some errands, and came back when it was all done. Gone are the pictures of friends in gothic clothing and Care Bear figurines...gone is the front page of the newspaper showing her as Princess Amadala at the Star Trek III premiere...gone is a certain...aroma.

It's going to suck, in some ways. My director and I both developed a lot more gray hair the last time we were without someone in Miss Smelly's position. It took a long while to get her up to speed. Honestly, though, she was never the ideal candidate and she was never a particularly good representative for us. Perhaps this incident was a blessing in disguise. All puns intended -I hope this is the breath of fresh air we need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home