Friday, February 25, 2005

Sowing Early Seeds of Self-Doubt

Once when I was very young, I woke up convinced that I could fly. I truly believed I could; it was just a question of stepping off the top of the stairs, raising my arms, and moving forward into the air, as though I were swimming. I was still in my pajamas when I opened the door to the back porch and went to the top step, some five feet above the concrete patio below.

Something made me stop. I raised my arms, but I was unsure of myself. Something nagged at me to believe I could do it, but something else pulled at my ankles and made me afraid of falling onto the cement.

I still wonder sometimes what would have happened if I hadn't hesitated. Maybe I really could have flown then if I had just believed it enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home