Friday, March 18, 2005

Veering Towards Luddism

Argh, a trying couple of days. No sooner do I return from the road trip to South Carolina than my work computer decides to curl into a ball and die. I suppose I should be thankful it was 'only' the motherboard, and I didn't lose any files...and if I'm smart, I guess I'll be backing up those files ASAP. Still, it was two days without a computer, in a job where I rely on it for 99% of my work.

When I got it back, I loaded my new Photoshop CS software, eager to start working on files when not at my photography class. Naturally, nothing is going right there either. For some reason Photoshop seems to want nothing to do with my raw format files. I haven't yet reached the point of being willing to get soaked to the tune of $39 for a service help call, but I'm going to have to find someone who knows how to sort this out because I am completely flummoxed.

In some ways, being without the computer here for the last couple of days was a good thing to happen. I was forced to contend with things I always put off - like filing. Remember those piles of work that were on my desk the other week? They're not here anymore! They're all properly filed or reorganized into a work folder for me to tackle. I have real estate on my desk - it appears that it is some kind of wood-grain laminate. I cleared out my filing cabinets and realized I actually DO have space in there - I just needed to get rid of a lot of junk. My bookshelves were likewise renovated. I stopped short of the desk drawers...I don't know why, I just didn't feel like I could have absolutely everything pristine. Besides, I know what's in the drawers. CDs, diskettes, paperclips, random numbers scribbled on scraps of paper, and a small pharmacy. All in all, though, being without the computer was a cathartic experience I recommend heartily to anyone feeling overwhelmed by the state of their office. Just not more than once every year or so.

If anyone out there knows how to forcefeed .CR2 files into Photoshop CS, drop me a line, will ya?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home