Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Checked Out

I've officially checked out. My brain is not on the job at all, nor is it likely to be anytime during the 8 1/2 working days left before I take time off for the wedding and honeymoon. It's not like I have a ton of stuff to organize; it's more just wishing the day would hurry up and get here. Craig, who has to determine which of the vehicles in the fleet will ultimately be the least shaky option for this trip, probably has more on his plate than I do. I guess the truth is that it doesn't take much these days to persuade me to avoid work, especially when I can give about 10% of my effort and still get the job done reasonably well.

Boot camp is starting to catch up with me, I think. My legs feel like lead and I just want to nap. I'm still doing quite well. Sargeant Erica had the temerity to suggest today that I might be ready to move to 10 lb weights instead of my 5 lb ones, based on her observation that she's seeing some definition on top of my arms and I don't seem to have trouble lifting the smaller weights. I replied that it's the lack of definition under my arms that is more of a concern, and frankly I didn't think it would be wise to consider such a move until I was actually able to do a push-up from my toes. It's hard enough right now just from the knees. Red Sox catcher Doug Mirabelli put himself on the disabled list for several weeks after trying to swing David 'Big Papi' Ortiz's much heavier bat - what does that tell you? Don't mess with shit you aren't ready for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home