Thursday, June 16, 2005

Grrrl-illa in the Mist

I've noticed during the last few mornings, now that the cool weather has returned, that there's a thick and floaty layer of mist through much of the wooded and watery areas on my drive from home to boot camp to work and back. I decided this morning I'd take my camera with me and stop on the way back from boot camp and try a few shots.

Mist is sort of hard in this situation because it's really easy for it to become blended in with the overcast skies. The white balance is also a challenge - and also an opportunity. I noticed afterwards that some of my shots benefitted from cooling down the white balance to give the mist an even more ethereal feel.

I've been concentrating on shooting backgrounds, as well as separately photographing objects from different angles and bodies and body parts to use in masking and compositing experiments in photoshop. I've been exploring the work of the German photographer, Loretta Lux, whose composite photographs I find very attractive. They have a painterly quality that's very old-world, like albumen frescoes, and the longer you stare at them, the more disturbing they become. I think I'd like to try something in that vein, but with a softer feel to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home