Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Spelling and Grammar Cop

I've always been finicky about grammar and spelling; it's simply part of my nature. I think paying attention to these things demonstrates some orderliness in the mind, which I admire, and also shows respect for those with whom you are communicating. This is not to say that I don't take liberties with language from time to time, and I do like to be amused when others play with language in ways that better communicate their intention. Sometimes that means spelling like 'Hooked on Phonics', or ebonics, to give flavour to words. That's fine - the point is, language is an art form we all use, and how we use it says a lot about who we are and what's important to us.

Poor spelling vexes me. Before I carry on, I want to say that there is a difference between simple typos and poor spelling. The former is just a mistake often brought on by too much speed; the latter is a chronic condition. Sometimes, particular words just trip up people, and they are always struggling with the correct spelling of that word while, for the most part, their spelling is generally sound. Whether someone's errors are typos, however, or the result of lack of respect for spelling and grammar, quickly become apparent.

(For the record, I fully expect that certain people will be closely analyzing this particular blog entry for my own mistakes. Let me give you some assistance: I sometimes have trouble with subject-verb agreement in long sentences. Start there.)

Current list of pet peeve words - ones I frequently see misspelled or misused:

Dependant/independant (and all other forms). Why do people always try to shove an 'a' in there? Folks: the word is 'dependent', and there is no 'a' in it or any of its forms.

Disorientated. This is not a word. The noun is disorientation, and one becomes disoriented. You do not become disorientated. This is one of these bizarre situations where people actually make language more complicated, instead of more simple, when they modify language.

Kewl. Frequently seen in cyberspace. Some might argue that this is an artistic interpretation of the word 'cool', meant to give a sense of the person's inflection if they were speaking the word. It is, however, in my humble opinion, utterly moronic. Analogy: 'cool' is Easy Rider, while 'kewl' is the latest Disney remake of a classic movie starring the talentless but highly photogenic teen icons du jour.

Quote as a noun. This one is strictly personal. I grant that even the Oxford English Dictionary has relented on this one, but I simply cannot. Quote is a verb. Quotation is the noun.

You need only remember this: sloppy grammar and spelling equal a sloppy mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home